Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Instructional Design Models

Recently, our class worked on creating single-slide presentations on multiple different Instructional Design Models, an overview of the model and an example of a tech tool that demonstrates that Instructional Design Model in action. It was such an enriching experience to read through over 20 different types of IDMs and learn about the different aspects of instruction that are available and how each model can be immediately applied to my current teaching practice. What's more, many of the tech tools presented by peers in my graduate cohort offer many new resources that I can explore and many that I can implement into my teaching right away.

It was also great to see a few of the Instructional Design Models that I already integrate into my praxis, such as Situated Learning Model. I involve my students in many role plays and real-life scenarios based in the community to learn about concepts we talk about in class such as the war on the homeless. I take students out into the community to talk about and see instances where society has actively tried to push homeless people out to the fringes. We work at food shelves and other drop-in centers to explore specific situations through community service. Another is the Problem-Base Learning Model. Right now, we are actually working on a final that involves activism to solve a social problem through education, advocacy and action. Another model I already employ is the Collaborative-Based Learning Model. We use different types of online software that allow students to work on live documents and evolve a piece of work together while working with each other inside and outside of the classroom.

Some particular IDMs, I find intriguing are the following:

Action Learning
A process that involves a small group working on real problems, taking action, and learning as individuals, as a team, and as an organization. It helps organizations develop creative, flexible and successful strategies to pressing problems www.wial.org/action-learning










ARCS Design Model
Instructional Design Models And Theories: Keller's ARCS Model Of Motivation. John Keller is the founder of the ARCS Model of Motivation, which is based upon the idea that there are four key elements in the learning process which can encourage and sustain learners'  https://elearningindustry.com/arcs-model-of-motivation












Discovery learning
A technique of inquiry-based learning and is considered a constructivist based approach to education. It is supported by the work of learning theorists and psychologists Jean Piaget, Jerome Bruner, and Seymour Papert. www.discoveryeducation.com/









There are many more as well; however, I would be writing for days. This is my short intro to of the many IDMs available for us to use. What a wonderful technical world.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Mack. I really liked this activity of articulating different instructional models because of the broad variety of ways we can reach our students. These are active models, not passive like lecturing. I'm glad you gained from this activity/experience.

    ReplyDelete