Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Constructivism Exercise

Today we created some shapes using Logo Interpreter. The activity and energy it took for me to figure out how to make a square design by inputting code was simple, yet challenging at the same time. I learned some in-depth insights as to how I think and construct reality based on the world around me. I was pulling in information from multiple sources such as the assignment requirements by our instructor, and the learning software and my own background knowledge with design programs. Even so, none of these sources were complete without actually putting the information and experiences into action and practice.

I noticed that the first thing I tried to do was just wing it, and figure out how to operate the software on my own. Of course, I had little success. I copied and pasted code into the field and the result came some pretty awesome looking designs, but I realized that I had not actually created anything or really learned anything. I did make an inference to copy the code into the design box. But all I had done is copy and paste some code. Below is the result.


This image looks very intricate with many colors and is an impressive piece of work. However, I know inside I did not create it. Nonetheless, I had to see how this design materialized from the code entered. Once I saw the pattern, I could begin to deduce which "phrases" of code made which designs, for example the part of the code that says, "repeat 144 times" is probably what created the numerous squares. From this point, I started to reverse engineer the code, by deleting portions of the code to see how the pattern changed. I could make correlations between what certain phrases of code were that create different shapes and colors. From that point, I had more of an idea of what the task required, but I also realized how little I knew about what was necessary to make a simple design. Therefore, I decided to actually look at the tutorial.

When I visited the tutorial, I acquired the final pieces of direction I needed to complete the assignment. However, that information was not the final piece of the puzzle. I still needed to put it into action and that required some trial and error. It took me a few tries to figure out how to make a simple square design. Typing in commands and missing the mark, then clearing the slate and trying again, until I fine tuned the practice. I noticed persistence was an important part of my learning. Many times I just wanted to find the right piece of code that would produce a square and copy that into the line. But wouldn't that in itself still be learning. It would be the same type of trial and error I had been through trying to actually design the square. In the end this is what I made.


When it was all said and done, I appreciated the process it took for me to learn how to create this design. It is simple, but it required me to make many connections from multiple different sources and experiences to build this design. The practice of putting knowledge and information into action was key as well. I can now see how too often I do not require my students to put the concepts we learn into action or practice and in order for learners to learn from and utilize the knowledge we discuss in class education must be interact with the world around them.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post Mack, it was nice to read how you worked through the sample code to broaden your own understanding of how to make your very own design. There is a lot of value in figuring things out.

    ReplyDelete